Jump to Main Content
- Linke, Caroline M.; Woodiga, Shireen A.; Meyers, Dustin J.; Buckwalter, Carolyn M.; Salhi, Hussam E.; King, Samantha J.
- Journal of bacteriology 2013 v.195 no.5 pp. 1031-1041
- kestose, etc ; ABC transporters; Streptococcus pneumoniae; adenosinetriphosphatase; bacteria; bacteriology; fructose; genes; glucose; humans; inulin; loci; pathogens; sucrose; Show all 14 Subjects
- ... Streptococcus pneumoniae is an important human pathogen that requires carbohydrates for growth. The significance of carbohydrate acquisition is highlighted by the genome encoding more than 27 predicted carbohydrate transporters. It has long been known that about 60% of pneumococci could utilize the fructooligosaccharide inulin as a carbohydrate source, but the mechanism of utilization was unknown. ...
- PubMed Central:
- Korakli, M.; Pavlovic, M.; Ganzle, M.G.; Vogel, R.F.
- Applied and environmental microbiology 2003 v.69 no.4 pp. 2073-2079
- kestose, etc ; Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis; sucrose; carbohydrate metabolism; polysaccharides; fermentation; fructooligosaccharides; fructose; sourdough; starter cultures; Show all 10 Subjects
- ... The effect was investigated of sucrose concentration on sucrose metabolism and on the formation of exopolysaccharide (EPS) by Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis LTH2590 in pH-controlled fermentations with sucrose concentrations ranging from 20 to 160 g liter-1. The EPS production increased and the relative sucrose hydrolysis activity decreased by increasing the sucrose concentration in the medium. The ...
- PubMed Central:
- Waterhouse, A.L.; Calub, T.M.; French, A.D.
- Carbohydrate research 1991 v.217 pp. 29
- kestose, etc ; molecular conformation; models; thermodynamics; spectral analysis; nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy; Show all 6 Subjects
- ... Models if the trisaccharide, 1-kestose [beta-D-fructofuranosyl-(2 leads to 1)-beta-D-fructofuranosyl-(2 leads to 1)-alpha-D-glucopyranoside], were analyzed with the molecular mechanics computer program MM2(87) to ascertain their inter-ring torsion angles, primary alcohol side-group orientations, and ring puckering. The most striking result was that the modeling predicted and n.m.r. spectroscopy co ...