Jump to Main Content
- Ault, Andrew P., et al. Show all 14 Authors
- Environmental Science & Technology 2014 v.48 no.2 pp. 1324-1333
- air; bacteria; bioaerosols; biofilm; biomarkers; bubbles; chromium; coasts; colloids; ions; iron; magnesium; metal ions; nitrogen; phosphates; spectrometers
- ... In the ocean, breaking waves generate air bubbles which burst at the surface and eject sea spray aerosol (SSA), consisting of sea salt, biogenic organic species, and primary biological aerosol particles (PBAP). Our overall understanding of atmospheric biological particles of marine origin remains poor. Here, we perform a control experiment, using an aerosol time-of-flight mass spectrometer to meas ...
- Ault, Andrew P., et al. Show all 35 Authors
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2013 v.110 no.19 pp. 7550-7555
- aerosols; bacteria; biological speciation; chemical composition; hygroscopicity; mixing; phytoplankton; seawater
- ... The production, size, and chemical composition of sea spray aerosol (SSA) particles strongly depend on seawater chemistry, which is controlled by physical, chemical, and biological processes. Despite decades of studies in marine environments, a direct relationship has yet to be established between ocean biology and the physicochemical properties of SSA. The ability to establish such relationships ...
- PubMed Central: