Jump to Main Content
- Borhan, Babak, et al. Show all 11 Authors
- The Journal of physical chemistry 2013 v.117 no.35 pp. 10053-10070
- absorption; actuators; binding proteins; fluorescence; fluorescence emission spectroscopy; isomerization; models; mutants; quantum mechanics; retinoic acid; rhodopsin
- ... Recently, a rhodopsin protein mimic was constructed by combining mutants of the cellular retinoic acid binding protein II (CRABPII) with an all-trans retinal chromophore. Here, we present a combined computational quantum mechanics/molecular mechanics (QM/MM) and experimental ultrafast kinetic study of CRABPII. We employ the QM/MM models to study the absorption (λᵃₘₐₓ), fluorescence (λᶠₘₐₓ), and re ...
- Borhan, Babak, et al. Show all 9 Authors
- Science 2012 v.338 no.6112 pp. 1340-1343
- absorbance; absorption; animals; microorganisms; mutagenesis; phototaxis; protein binding; retinol-binding protein; rhodopsin; schiff bases; visual perception; wavelengths
- ... Seeing the Light Rhodopsins respond to a range of electromagnetic radiation—allowing visual perception over a broad wavelength range in animals and facilitating light-driven ion transport and phototaxis in microorganisms. All rhodopsins contain an embedded retinal chromophore in which absorbance is tuned by the protein environment. To gain insight into how the protein tunes absorbance, Wang et al. ...
- PubMed Central: