Jump to Main Content
- Alexandrino, Maria, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Environmental Science & Technology 2014 v.48 no.6 pp. 3378-3385
- Clostridium; bacterial communities; community structure; copper; heavy metals; iron; metal tolerance; mixed culture; pH; pollution; sulfate-reducing bacteria; sulfates; sulfides; sulfites; sustainable technology; zinc
- ... Sulfate reducing bacteria (SRB) are widely used for attenuating heavy metal pollution by means of sulfide generation. Due to their low metal tolerance, several SRB species depend on associated bacteria in mixed cultures to cope with metal-induced stress. Yet the identity of the SRB protecting bacteria is largely unknown. We aimed to identify these associated bacteria and their potential role in tw ...
- Alexandrino, Maria, et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Journal of hazardous materials 2011 v.187 no.1-3 pp. 362-370
- Clostridium; Desulfovibrio; bacterial communities; bioremediation; copper; iron; metal tolerance; mining; nucleotide sequences; phylogeny; ribosomal RNA; ribotypes; soil; sulfate-reducing bacteria; zinc
- ... The soils of three fumaroles and one mining site, all with high metal content, were surveyed for the presence of metal-resistant sulfate-reducing bacteria and their potential application in the bioremediation of acid mine drainages. By means of selective soil enrichments a bacterial consortium was isolated from an Icelandic fumarole that displayed very high sulfate reduction in the presence of a m ...