Jump to Main Content
- Arroyo, Antonio I., et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Journal of arid environments 2019 v.160 pp. 82-90
- adults; canopy; dry environmental conditions; gypsum; nurse plants; observational studies; plant communities; plant establishment; seedlings; shrubs; soil properties; species diversity; Spain
- ... Plants may depend on nurse plants to establish and survive on gypsum environments, which are stressful for plant life. Shrubs may act as nurse plants by ameliorating micro-environmental conditions in their local vicinity. Despite its importance, the role of nurse shrubs on the spatial patterning of plant establishment remains largely unknown in gypsum communities. Our aim was to understand the pat ...
- Arroyo, Antonio I., et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Journal of arid environments 2018 v.151 pp. 1-8
- Artemisia herba-alba; Pinus halepensis; Salsola vermiculata; bioassays; biomass; catechol; chemical interactions; dry environmental conditions; germination; phytotoxicity; plant communities; seedling growth; seedlings; seeds; semiarid zones; shrubs; vanillic acid; volatile compounds; water solubility
- ... We investigated the phytotoxic effects of volatile and water soluble chemicals produced by the shrub Artemisia herba-alba Asso. We conducted a number of germination and early seedling growth bioassays on species that co-exist with A. herba-alba in natural semiarid plant communities (Salsola vermiculata L. Lygeum spartum L. Pinus halepensis Mill. and A. herba-alba itself). In addition, we assessed ...