Jump to Main Content
Did you mean to type: brian?
- Bals, Bryan D., et al. Show all 2 Author
- Bioresource technology 2012 v.106 pp. 161-169
- ammonia; biofuels; biomass; drying; econometric models; feedstocks; leaf protein; profitability; pyrolysis; supply chain
- ... One solution to the supply chain challenges of cellulosic biofuels is a network of local biomass processing depots (LBPDs) that can produce stable, dense, intermediate commodities and valuable co-products prior to shipping to a refinery. A techno-economic model of an LBPD facility that could incorporate multiple technologies and products was developed in Microsoft Excel to be used to economically ...
- Bals, Bryan D., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Environmental Science & Technology 2013 v.47 no.3 pp. 1695-1703
- Panicum virgatum; agricultural management models; bioeconomic models; bioethanol; biomass; biorefining; briquettes; capital; cropping systems; ecosystem services; energy; environmental performance; ethanol; markets; perennials; prices; profitability; subwatersheds; transportation; Michigan
- ... This paper compares environmental and profitability outcomes for a centralized biorefinery for cellulosic ethanol that does all processing versus a biorefinery linked to a decentralized array of local depots that pretreat biomass into concentrated briquettes. The analysis uses a spatial bioeconomic model that maximizes profit from crop and energy products, subject to the requirement that the biore ...
- Bals, Bryan D., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- BioEnergy research 2012 v.5 no.2 pp. 372-379
- ammonia; biorefining; corn stover; energy costs; ethanol; fermentation; hydrolysis; sugars; temperature; water content
- ... Low temperature and long residence time pretreatments have been proposed as an alternative to conventional pretreatments within a centralized biorefinery, allowing for a decentralized pretreatment without high energy costs. Ammonia fiber expansion (AFEX™) pretreatment may be uniquely suitable for decentralized pretreatment, and this study considers the possibility of decreasing the temperature in ...