Jump to Main Content
- Barnes, Robert J., et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Journal of hazardous materials 2016 v.308 pp. 106-112
- enzymes; ethylene dichloride; iron; chloroform; pH; carbon tetrachloride; bacteria
- ... Nanoscale zero valent iron (nZVI) and organochlorine respiring bacteria (ORB) are two technologies used to detoxify chlorinated aliphatic hydrocarbons (CAHs). nZVI can rapidly detoxify high CAH concentrations, but is quickly oxidised and unable to degrade certain CAHs (e.g., 1,2-dichlorothane). In contrast, ORB can dechlorinate CAHs resistant to nZVI (e.g., 1,2-dichlorothane) but are inhibited by ...
- Barnes, Robert J., et al. Show all 9 Authors
- Journal of membrane science 2014 v.466 pp. 161-172
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa; alginates; artificial membranes; bacteria; biofilm; biofouling; glass; hydraulic resistance; mutants; nitric oxide; reverse osmosis
- ... The roles of Pseudomonas aeruginosa polysaccharides (Pel, Psl, alginate) in reverse osmosis (RO) membrane biofouling and nitric oxide (NO) induced dispersal were investigated. While mutants deficient in Psl formed significantly lower biofilm (total cell and polysaccharide) biovolumes than the PAO1 wild-type on glass surfaces, total cell biovolumes were similar during fouling of RO membranes. Howev ...
- Barnes, Robert J., et al. Show all 15 Authors
- The Science of the total environment 2011 v.409 no.13 pp. 2503-2510
- activated sludge; application rate; bacteria; direct contact; earthworms; effluents; fertilizers; industrial applications; nanoparticles; prediction; risk; river water; rivers; sewage; sewage sludge; sewage treatment; titanium dioxide; toxicology; ultraviolet radiation; viability; England
- ... The fate of Ti was examined in an activated sludge plant serving over 200,000 people. These studies revealed a decrease of 30 to 3.2μg/L of Ti<0.45μm from influent to effluent and a calculated Ti presence of 305mg/kg DW in wasted sludge. Thus, using sludge as a fertiliser would result in a predicted deposition of up to 250mg/m² of Ti to soil surfaces using a recommended maximal agricultural applic ...