Jump to Main Content
- Bertolami, Adriana, et al. Show all 11 Authors
- Nutrition, metabolism, and cardiovascular diseases 2020 v.30 no.2 pp. 254-264
- anti-inflammatory activity; antioxidant activity; atherogenesis; body mass index; cholesterol; cross-sectional studies; high density lipoprotein; obesity; patients; platelet aggregation; ultracentrifugation; weight gain
- ... Obesity-related decline in high-density lipoprotein (HDL) functions such as cholesterol efflux capacity (CEC) has supported the notion that this lipoprotein dysfunction may contribute for atherogenesis among obese patients. We investigated if potentially other HDL protective actions may be affected with weight gain and these changes may occur even before the obesity range in a cross-sectional anal ...
- Bertolami, Adriana, et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Journal of functional foods 2014 v.10 pp. 178-186
- biomarkers; chocolate; drugs; functional foods; glutathione-disulfide reductase; noninsulin-dependent diabetes mellitus; oxidative stress; patients; phytosterols; sterol esters; superoxide dismutase
- ... This study aimed to compare the action of a drug (ezetimibe) and a functional food containing plant sterol esters on oxidative stress biomarkers. In this double-blind study, 37 type 2 diabetic patients on statin treatment were randomly assigned to receive ezetimibe 10.0 mg/day or to consume a chocolate containing 2.1 g of plant sterol esters for 6 weeks. It was observed that ezetimibe promoted an ...