Jump to Main Content
- Boersma, P. D., et al. Show all 2 Author
- Ecological applications 2019 v.29 no.1 pp. e01826
- Spheniscus; adults; chicks; computer software; demography; females; fisheries; juveniles; males; models; monogamy; morality; mortality; penguins; population growth; seabirds; sex ratio; starvation; Argentina
- ... We developed a Hidden Markov mark–recapture model (R package marked) to examine sex‐specific demography in Magellanic Penguins (Spheniscus magellanicus). Our model was based on 33 yr of resightings at Punta Tombo, Argentina, where we banded ~44,000 chicks from 1983 to 2010. Because we sexed only 57% of individuals over their lifetime, we treated sex as an uncertain state in our model. Our goals we ...
- Boersma, P. D., et al. Show all 3 Authors
- The Wilson journal of ornithology 2017 v.129 no.1 pp. 186-191
- Hydrobates pelagicus; Pygoscelis; Spheniscus; adults; body condition; chicks; fledglings; molting; nests; penguins; seabirds
- ... Until recently, species from all but three families of seabirds were known to give extended parental care, provisioning young after fledging. The exceptions were shearwaters, storm-petrels, and penguins. The Gentoo Penguin (Pygoscelis papua) is now known to feed its young after fledging. This paper adds the Galapagos Penguin (Spheniscus mendiculus) to the list, describing five instances of adult p ...