Jump to Main Content
- Boyd, B. M., et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Journal of animal science 2016 v.94 no.7 pp. 2937-2941
- animal health; animal pens; beef cattle; blood; blood sampling; cattle feeding; cortisol; diet; finishing; glucose; lactic acid; lung function; lungs; metabolites; shade; slaughterhouses; urea nitrogen; zilpaterol hydrochloride
- ... The effects of feeding zilpaterol hydrochloride (ZH) and shade were evaluated on blood metabolites and lung score in finishing beef steers (n = 480). Cattle were fed 0 or 8.33 mg/kg ZH for 21 d with a 3- or 4-d withdrawal before harvest and were housed in open or shaded pens. Blood samples and lung scores were collected the day before ZH was fed and on the day the cattle were shipped to the commer ...
- Boyd, B. M., et al. Show all 9 Authors
- Journal of animal science 2015 v.93 no.12 pp. 5801-5811
- animal pens; animal performance; animal welfare; beta-adrenergic agonists; body temperature; carcass quality; cattle housing; covariance; finishing; heat stress; model validation; nutritional intervention; respiratory rate; rumen; shade; slaughterhouses; steers
- ... Steers (n = 480) were used to study the effects of shade and feeding zilpaterol hydrochloride (ZH) on performance, carcass quality, heat stress, mobility, and body temperature (BT). A randomized block design with a 2 × 2 factorial arrangement of treatments was used with 4 replicates per treatment. Factors included housing type (open or shaded pens) and the feeding of ZH (0 or 8.33 mg/kg DM) the la ...