Jump to Main Content
- Brass, David M., et al. Show all 2 Author
- Toxicology 2017
- GRAS substances; color; diacetyl; flavor; ingredients; lung function; models; odors; toxicity; vapors; volatile organic compounds; working conditions
- ... Diacetyl (DA; 2,3-butanedione), with the chemical formula (CH3CO)2 is a volatile organic compound with a deep yellow color and a strong buttery flavor and aroma. These properties have made DA a particularly useful and common food flavoring ingredient. However, because of this increased occupational use, workers can be exposed to high vapor concentrations in the workplace. Despite being listed by t ...
- PubMed Central:
- Brass, David M., et al. Show all 9 Authors
- Journal of Proteome Research 2017 v.16 no.2 pp. 538-549
- bronchiolitis; cilia; crosslinking; diacetyl; epithelial cells; epithelium; fibrosis; fluorescent antibody technique; humans; keratin; models; monitoring; pathogenesis; phosphopeptides; phosphorylation; proteome; proteomics; rodents; staining; toxicity; vapors
- ... Occupational exposures to the diketone flavoring agent, diacetyl, have been associated with bronchiolitis obliterans, a rare condition of airway fibrosis. Model studies in rodents have suggested that the airway epithelium is a major site of diacetyl toxicity, but the effects of diacetyl exposure upon the human airway epithelium are poorly characterized. Here we performed quantitative LC–MS/MS-base ...