Jump to Main Content
- Buckingham, Bruce N., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Canadian journal of zoology 2018 v.96 no.9 pp. 980-986
- Procyon lotor; Sturnus vulgaris; antipredatory behavior; birds; breeding; clutch size; eggs; linear models; nest boxes; nests; odors; predation; reproductive traits; risk perception; spring
- ... Indirect predator cues near nests have been shown to enhance perceived predation risk and associated antipredator behaviours in breeding animals across taxa and particularly with birds. We hypothesized that scent from the raccoon (Procyon lotor (Linnaeus, 1758)) inside nest boxes would, despite being an evolutionarily unique predator, enhance perceived risk to the European Starling (Sturnus vulgar ...
- Buckingham, Bruce N., et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Agriculture, ecosystems & environment 2017 v.242 pp. 34-42
- aircraft; airports; analysis of variance; aviation; birds; corn; cropland; energy crops; flocks; habitat conservation; land cover; land management; models; soybeans; stubble; wheat; wildlife; Ohio
- ... Airport properties often include agricultural land cover that can attract wildlife species hazardous to aircraft, despite recommendations against row crops near air operations areas. However, few studies have directly quantified bird use of corn, wheat, and soybean fields relative to bird-aircraft collision (strike) hazard levels to support land cover recommendations. Therefore, we compared bird u ...