Jump to Main Content
- Chiquet, Ross A., et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Ecotoxicology 2017 v.26 no.6 pp. 820-830
- Physeter macrocephalus; corals; disasters; fecundity; fish; mathematical models; oils; oysters; probability; stochastic processes; whales; Gulf of Mexico
- ... Mathematical models are essential for combining data from multiple sources to quantify population endpoints. This is especially true for species, such as marine mammals, for which data on vital rates are difficult to obtain. Since the effects of an environmental disaster are not fixed, we develop time-varying (nonautonomous) matrix population models that account for the eventual recovery of the en ...
- PubMed Central:
- Chiquet, Ross A., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Ecological modelling 2013 v.248 pp. 71-79
- Physeter macrocephalus; extinction; females; longevity; models; probability distribution; reproduction; survival rate
- ... The focus of this study is to investigate the demographic and sensitivity/elasticity analysis of the endangered sperm whale population. First, a matrix population model corresponding to a general sperm whale life cycle is presented. The values of the parameters in the model are then estimated. The population's asymptotic growth rate λ, life expectancy and net reproduction number are calculated. Ex ...