Jump to Main Content
- Cho, Joon Yong, et al. Show all 9 Authors
- Molecular nutrition & food research 2016 v.60 no.3 pp. 589-599
- memory; neuroprotective effect; correlation; diet; transcriptomics; dose response; neurons; neurogenesis; astaxanthin; brain; DNA microarrays; mice; neonates; animal models; cognition; antioxidant activity; cell proliferation; adults
- ... SCOPE: There is a growing necessity for efficacious natural supplements with antioxidant effects on the brain, in particular, hippocampal function. One such compound, which also has a neuroprotective effect, is the carotenoid astaxanthin (ASX). Despite ASX's potential benefit to the brain, very little is known about its effect on hippocampal plasticity and cognition. Thus, we investigated the effe ...
- Cho, Joon Yong, et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Journal of ethnopharmacology 2011 v.133 no.2 pp. 484-489
- agonists; cardiovascular diseases; disease prevention; endothelium; guanosine triphosphate; myosin light chains; phenylephrine; phosphorylation; protein kinase C; rats; sodium fluoride
- ... AIM OF THE STUDY: HMC05, an extract from eight different herbal mixtures, has been developed to treat cardiovascular disease. This extract has a vasorelaxant and anti-atherosclerotic action. We hypothesized that HMC05 attenuates vascular contraction through inhibition of the RhoA/Rho-kinase signaling pathway. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Rat aortic ring preparations were mounted in organ baths and subje ...
- Cho, Joon-Yong, et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Appetite 2012 v.58 no.2 pp. 462-469
- aorta; apoptosis; blood lipids; body weight; cardiovascular diseases; caspase-9; cholesterol; dietary protein; exercise; experimental diets; menopause; nitric oxide; ovariectomy; rats; risk; risk reduction; triacylglycerols; women
- ... Menopause is associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD). Exercise and soy isoflavone diets have been suggested to reduce the risk of CVD in postmenopausal women. We investigated the effects of exercise, or combined exercise and soy isoflavone diet, on plasma lipid profiles, paraoxonase (PON), nitric oxide (NO) and apoptosis in the aorta of ovariectomized (OVX) rats. Thirty-t ...