Jump to Main Content
- Donk, Ellen van, et al. Show all 16 Authors
- BioScience 2013 v.63 no.1 pp. 35-42
- biogeochemical cycles; carbon; ecosystems; energy; freshwater; marine sediments; mineralization; nutrients; organic matter; photosynthesis; phytoplankton; primary productivity; roots; soil; soil food webs
- ... The food webs of terrestrial soils and of freshwater and marine sediments depend on adjacent aboveground or pelagic ecosystems for organic matter input that provides nutrients and energy. There are important similarities in the flow of organic matter through these food webs and how this flow feeds back to primary production. In both soils and sediments, trophic interactions occur in a cycle in whi ...
- Donk, Ellen van, et al. Show all 14 Authors
- Basic and applied ecology 2009 v.10 no.1 pp. 89-96
- simulation models; water quality; lakes; regression analysis; European Union; ecosystems; environmental indicators; hydrologic models; Europe
- ... The European Water Framework Directive (WFD) requires that all aquatic ecosystems in their member states should reach 'good' ecological quality by 2015. To assess ecological quality, the WFD requires the definition of reference conditions using biological, physical and chemical indicators and the assignment of each water body to one of five quality classes using these indicators. Elaborate assessm ...