Jump to Main Content
- Drummond, Niall, et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Foodborne pathogens & disease 2013 v.10 no.8 pp. 744-746
- Yersinia enterocolitica; acid tolerance; bacteria; diarrhea; genes; humans; mutation; nalidixic acid; patients; phenotype; public health; transporters
- ... Antimicrobial-resistant bacteria pose a threat to public health. Three Yersinia enterocolitica strains cultured from patients presenting with diarrhea and resistant to nalidixic acid were studied. Target gene mutations in gyrA alone were identified as part of the genetic basis for this phenotype. Efflux activity was also noted, since the presence of the efflux pump inhibitor, phenylalanine-arginin ...
- Drummond, Niall, et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Irish veterinary journal 2012 v.65 no.1 pp. 30
- Listeria monocytogenes; antibiotics; bacteria; bulk milk; dairy cows; dairy farming; excretion; herds; milk; pulsed-field gel electrophoresis; raw milk; risk
- ... During routine sampling of bulk raw milk on a dairy farm, the pathogenic bacteria Listeria monocytogenes was found to be a contaminant, at numbers < 100 cfu/ml. A strain with an indistinguishable pulsed-field gel electrophoresis pattern was isolated from the bulk milk two months later. Environmental swabs taken at the dairy environment were negative for the presence of L. monocytogenes, indicating ...
- PubMed Central:
- Drummond, Niall, et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Veterinary microbiology 2010 v.146 no.3-4 pp. 336-339
- dogs; tonsils; Yersinia enterocolitica; yersiniosis; hosts; zoonoses; disease prevalence; rectum; virulence; strains; adhesins; plasmids; biotypes; antibiotic resistance; cephalothin; microbial colonization; Irish Republic
- ... Yersinia enterocolitica (Y. enterocolitica) is a known zoonotic pathogen and is often found in pig tonsils as the primary site of colonisation. In this study we investigated whether or not Y. enterocolitica could be recovered from canine tonsils. During a study on the prevalence of Y. enterocolitica in animal populations in Ireland, 144 canine tonsils and 72 canine rectal swabs were procured over ...