Jump to Main Content
- Fiack, Ciara, et al. Show all 5 Authors
- American journal of veterinary research 2012 v.73 no.1 pp. 98-104
- biopsy; bladder; corn syrup; endoscopy; gene expression; genes; horses; mucosa; oral administration; phenylbutazone; placebos; prostaglandin synthase; quantitative polymerase chain reaction; stomach
- ... Objective-To assess gene expressions of cyclooxygenase-1 and -2 in oral, glandular gastric, and urinary bladder mucosae and determine the effect of oral administration of phenylbutazone on those gene expressions in horses. Animals-12 healthy horses. Procedures-Horses were allocated to receive phenylbutazone or placebo (6 horses/group); 1 placebo-treated horse with a cystic calculus was subsequentl ...
- Fiack, Ciara, et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Veterinary journal 2010 v.186 no.2 pp. 192-196
- horses; muscle fatigue; selenium; blood chemistry; antioxidants; oxidative stress; nutrient deficiencies; California
- ... Exercise causes an increase in the production of reactive oxygen species, which can result in oxidant/antioxidant disequilibrium. Deficiency of antioxidants can further alter this balance in favor of pro-oxidation. Selenium (Se) is one of many antioxidant catalysts, as a component of the glutathione peroxidase enzymes. Soils and forages vary widely in Se concentration and a deficient diet can lead ...