Jump to Main Content
- Gent, Martin P N
- Journal of the science of food and agriculture 2012 v.92 no.15 pp. 3007-3015
- amino acids; greenhouses; leaf blade; lettuce; nitrates; nitrogen; nitrogen content; nutrient solutions; petioles; plant tissues; root growth; roots; sugars; winter
- ... BACKGROUND: Lettuce accumulates high levels of nitrate when grown in winter in heated greenhouses. Temporarily removing nitrate from the nutrient solution may lower tissue nitrate. The composition of hydroponic lettuce was examined over a 6‐ to 13‐day interval of nitrogen depletion or re‐supply. RESULTS: Growth responses were delayed by 6 days or more after changing N supply, except root growth re ...
- GENT, MARTIN P. N., et al. Show all 2 Author
- Plant, cell and environment 2012 v.35 no.7 pp. 1274-1286
- Helianthus annuus; carbohydrate content; carbohydrates; crop models; growth factors; photosynthesis; supply balance; temperature; tomatoes; winter wheat
- ... Photosynthesis is the limiting factor in crop growth models, but metabolism may also limit growth. We hypothesize that, over a wide range of temperature, growth is the minimum of the supply of carbohydrate from photosynthesis, and the demand of carbohydrate to synthesize new tissue. Biosynthetic demand limits growth at cool temperatures and increases exponentially with temperature. Photosynthesis ...
- Gent, Martin P. N., et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Environmental toxicology and chemistry 2005 v.24 no.4 pp. 987-994
- Cucumis sativus; Cucurbita pepo subsp. pepo; DDE (pesticide); bioaccumulation factor; biomass; cultivars; dipotassium hydrogen phosphate; fertilizers; field experimentation; growing season; nitrogen; persistent organic pollutants; phosphorus; phytoaccumulation; planting; potassium nitrate; soil; vegetation
- ... Field experiments were conducted to determine the impact of nutrient amendments on the phytoextraction of weathered 2,2‐bis(p‐chlorophenyl)‐1,1‐dichloroethylene (p,p′‐DDE) by eight cultivars of cucurbits over a single growing season. Four cultivars of Cucurbita pepo ssp pepo are accumulators and extract percent level quantities of persistent organic pollutants (POPs), whereas C. pepo ssp ovifera a ...