Jump to Main Content
- Gaspar, Pedro, et al. Show all 11 Authors
- Cell 2019 v.178 no.4 pp. 901-918.e16
- Drosophila melanogaster; carbohydrate metabolism; carbohydrates; citrates; enterocytes; food intake; gender differences; invertebrates; males; sex reversal; sexual dimorphism; spermatogenesis; spermatozoa
- ... Physiology and metabolism are often sexually dimorphic, but the underlying mechanisms remain incompletely understood. Here, we use the intestine of Drosophila melanogaster to investigate how gut-derived signals contribute to sex differences in whole-body physiology. We find that carbohydrate handling is male-biased in a specific portion of the intestine. In contrast to known sexual dimorphisms in ...
- Gaspar, Pedro D., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Energy conversion and management 2014 v.88 pp. 758-767
- case studies; cold; cold storage; decision making; energy efficiency; food availability; food processing; food storage; manufacturing; meat; raw materials; slaughterhouses; sustainable development; Portugal
- ... Food processing and conservation represent decisive factors for the sustainability of the planet given the significant growth of the world population in the last decades. Therefore, the cooling process during the manufacture and/or storage of food products has been subject of study and improvement in order to ensure the food supply with good quality and safety. A predictive tool for assessment of ...