Jump to Main Content
- Gillen, Robert L., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Rangeland ecology & management 2012 v.65 no.5 pp. 516-522
- 2,4-D; Artemisia filifolia; Tympanuchus; chemical control; forage; forbs; grasses; grasshoppers; habitat preferences; habitats; livestock; pastures; pesticide application; rangelands; shrubs; Oklahoma
- ... Traditional management of sand sagebrush (Artemisia filifolia) rangelands has emphasized sagebrush control to increase forage for livestock. Since the 1950s shrub removal has been primarily achieved with herbicides. Concerns over declining lesser prairie-chicken (Tympanuchus pallidicinctus; LPC) populations have led to increased scrutiny over the use of herbicides to control shrubs. The objective ...
- Gillen, Robert L., et al. Show all 2 Author
- Rangeland ecology & management 2006 v.59 no.2 pp. 145
- Artemisia filifolia; shrubs; rangelands; range management; stocking rate; grazing intensity; grasses; precipitation; water stress; drought; steers; beef cattle; beef cows; calves; vegetation cover; canopy; climatic factors; slope; Oklahoma
- ... Understanding how stocking rate or grazing intensity affects the abundance of common plant species is fundamental to the sustainable management of rangelands. We had the unique opportunity to determine the impact of stocking rate on shrub canopy cover and grass basal cover in a sand sagebrush (Artemisia filifolia Torr.) grassland of the Southern Plains, United States. Treatments were imposed over ...