Jump to Main Content
- Gosling, Laura, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Environmental pollution 2016 v.214 pp. 549-555
- Acer pseudoplatanus; Rhytisma; air pollution; inoculum; leaves; nitrogen dioxide; rain; records; sulfur dioxide; surveys; temperature; urban areas; England
- ... Elevated sulphur dioxide (SO2) concentrations were the major cause of the absence of symptoms of tar spot (Rhytisma acerinum) of sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus), in urban areas in the 1970s. The subsequent large decline in SO2 concentrations has not always been accompanied by increased tar spot symptoms, for reasons that have remained unresolved. We used a large citizen science survey, providing ov ...
- Gosling, Laura, et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Environmental pollution 2013 v.182 pp. 437-447
- Quercus; air; air pollution; air quality; branches; climate; ecosystems; indicator species; lichens; linear models; plant growth; pollutants; surveys; tree trunk; trees; volunteers; United Kingdom
- ... Air pollution has many negative effects on the natural environment, from changes in plant growth patterns to loss of ecosystem function. This study uses citizen science to investigate national-scale patterns in the distribution and abundance of selected lichen species on tree trunks and branches, and to relate these to air pollution and climate. Volunteers collected data for nine lichen indicators ...