Jump to Main Content
- Hegsted, Maren, et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Advances in food and nutrition research 2015 v.6 no.2 pp. 198-205
- abdominal fat; adiponectin; adiposity; apoptosis; blood serum; dietary fiber; digestive system; fermentation; gene expression; genes; glucagon-like peptide 1; gluconeogenesis; humans; insulin resistance; metabolizable energy; microorganisms; neoplasm cells; neoplasms; resistant starch; rodents; short chain fatty acids
- ... The realization that low–glycemic index diets were formulated using resistant starch led to more than a decade of research on the health effects of resistant starch. Determination of the metabolizable energy of the resistant starch product allowed for the performance of isocaloric studies. Fermentation of resistant starch in rodent studies results in what appears to be a healthier gut, demonstrate ...
- Hegsted, Maren, et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Journal of nutrition 2003 v.133 no.5 pp. 1244-1249
- adverse effects; bone density; bone formation; bone resorption; casein; hormone replacement therapy; isoflavones; neoplasms; osteoporosis; ovariectomy; postmenopause; rats; soy protein; women
- ... Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) has been used to prevent osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. However, HRT may increase the incidence of some cancers and has other side effects. There is considerable interest in dietary alternatives that include the consumption of soy and isoflavones derived from soy. The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of dietary soy protein on bone density, ...
- Hegsted, Maren, et al. Show all 11 Authors
- Journal of agricultural and food chemistry 2009 v.57 no.18 pp. 8474–8479
- methodology; measurement; metabolizable energy; measuring devices; resistant starch; corn starch; amylose; rats; animal models; experimental diets; in vitro digestion; metabolic studies
- ... Energy values of high amylose corn starches high in resistant starch (RS) were determined in vivo by two different methodologies. In one study, energy values were determined according to growth relative to glucose-based diets in rats fed diets containing RS2, heat-treated RS2 (RS2−HT), RS3, and amylase predigested versions to isolate the RS component. Net metabolizable energy values ranged from 2. ...