Jump to Main Content
- Hellweg, S., et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Waste management 2018 v.79 pp. 815-827
- cardboard; case studies; databases; energy efficiency; environmental impact; environmental performance; glass; life cycle assessment; management systems; mass flow; material flow analysis; municipal solid waste; paper; paper recycling; politics; primary productivity; waste incineration; Switzerland
- ... Life cycle assessment (LCA) is commonly applied to examine the environmental performance of waste management systems. The system boundaries are, however, often limited to either one tonne of material or to specific waste treatments and are, therefore, lacking a systems perspective. Here, a framework is proposed to assess complete waste management systems based on actual waste flows, assessed with ...
- Hellweg, S., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Waste management 2018 v.77 pp. 220-224
- data collection; ecosystem services; environmental impact; global warming; heat treatment; laboratory animals; models; recycling; wastes
- ... Material recycling often leads to environmental benefits when compared to thermal treatments or landfilling and is therefore positioned in the waste hierarchy as the third priority after waste prevention and reuse. To assess the environmental impacts of recycling and the related substitution of primary material, linear steady-state models of physical flows are typically used. In reality, the envir ...