Jump to Main Content
- Hernández‐Hernández, Carolina, et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Journal of the science of food and agriculture 2019 v.99 no.1 pp. 325-333
- antioxidant activity; antioxidants; bioactive compounds; byproducts; catechin; cocoa beans; cocoa industry; epicatechin; epigallocatechin; functional foods; genotype; hot water treatment; hulls; liquids; phenols; sugars; theobromine
- ... BACKGROUND: Cocoa bean husk (CBH) is the principal by‐product of the cocoa industry and a significant agro‐industrial residue. In this study, using different hydrothermal treatments of CBH, it is shown that CBH is an important source of bioactive compounds, including theobromine, epicatechin and catechin. RESULTS: Treatment over 150 °C significantly increased the yield of total and individual phen ...
- Hernández-Hernández, Carolina, et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Food chemistry 2018 v.240 pp. 831-839
- antioxidant activity; bioactive compounds; cocoa beans; cocoa hulls; commercialization; cotyledons; epicatechin; fermentation; functional foods; gene banks; genotype; phenols; theobromine; Ecuador; Mexico; Peru
- ... A characterization of the phenolic profile of 25 cocoa genotypes established in a Mexican gene bank was carried out. From five different extraction methods commonly used for phenols, extraction with acidified methanol–water was chosen as the best to quantify the concentrations of theobromine and individual phenols in cocoa beans. High concentrations of individual and total phenols were found for g ...