Jump to Main Content
- Hodson, Andy J., et al. Show all 9 Authors
- Hydrological processes 2018 v.32 no.7 pp. 850-865
- air temperature; altitude; aquifers; crystallography; ecosystems; energy flow; fluid mechanics; glaciers; hydraulic conductivity; ice; melting; microorganisms; models; mountains; nutrients; piezometers; runoff; sediments; snowmelt; water table; weathering
- ... The hydrology of near‐surface glacier ice remains a neglected aspect of glacier hydrology despite its role in modulating meltwater delivery to downstream environments. To elucidate the hydrological characteristics of this near‐surface glacial weathering crust, we describe the design and operation of a capacitance‐based piezometer that enables rapid, economical deployment across multiple sites and ...
- Hodson, Andy J., et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Hydrological processes 2016 v.30 no.3 pp. 433-446
- aquifers; biogeochemistry; drainage; ecosystems; energy balance; fluid mechanics; glaciers; ice; loci; melting; microorganisms; models; particle size; particulates; piezometers; porosity; storage; weathering
- ... Water levels in cryoconite holes were monitored at high resolution over a 3‐week period on Austre Brøggerbreen (Svalbard). These data were combined with melt and energy balance modelling, providing insights into the evolution of the glacier's near‐surface hydrology and confirming that the hydrology of the near‐surface, porous ice known as the ‘weathering crust’ is dynamic and analogous to a shallo ...