Jump to Main Content
- Infante, Javier, et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Aquaculture 2019 v.502 pp. 80-86
- Macrocystis pyrifera; agricultural industry; biomass; clean energy; cosmetics; demonstration farms; econometric models; human population; humans; hydrocolloids; macroalgae; market prices; profitability; seaweed culture; Chile
- ... The demand for seaweed biomass for hydrocolloid industries and novel products for the food, pharmaceutical, cosmetics and agro-industry has been steadily increasing during the last decade. This trend is expected to continue into the future as new uses are discover and the ever-increasing human population needs for healthy products and clean energy expand beyond land-based resources. Seaweed farmin ...
- Infante, Javier, et al. Show all 11 Authors
- European journal of phycology 2017 v.52 no.4 pp. 391-406
- biomass; biorefining; climate change; economic analysis; ecosystem services; genetic variation; macroalgae; pathogens; pollution load; risk; seaweed culture
- ... The use of seaweeds has a long history, as does the cultivation of a select and relatively small group of species. This review presents several aspects of seaweed production, such as an update on the volumes of seaweeds produced globally by both extraction from natural beds and cultivation. We discuss uses, production trends and economic analysis. We also focus on what is viewed as the huge potent ...