Jump to Main Content
- Ji, Yinlin, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Earth-science reviews 2020 v.205 pp. 103182
- corrosion; earthquakes; geophysics; geothermal energy; models; motivation; prediction; risk; temperature; uncertainty
- ... Injection-induced seismicity has become a major barrier to the development of geothermal energy, because the complexity of fault behaviors and the lack of physical fundamentals make it extremely difficult to assess, predict, and control during geothermal energy extraction. The motivations of this review include, (1) to identify the recent advances in understanding and modelling of coupled thermo-h ...
- Ji, Yinlin, et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Engineering geology 2019
- earthquakes; energy; geophysics; laboratory experimentation; prediction; shear strength; shear stress; uncertainty analysis
- ... Hundreds of anthropogenic earthquakes have recently occurred worldwide due to underground space creation and energy extraction. The mechanism behind the human-induced geohazards is most likely associated with the reduction of normal stress on pre-existing fractures and faults. This study reports a series of laboratory experiments to investigate the mechanism of unloading-induced fracture activatio ...