Jump to Main Content
- Jimenez-Bluhm, Pedro, et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Preventive veterinary medicine 2019 v.164 pp. 41-48
- animal diseases; animal health; biosecurity; birds; cash flow analysis; dead animals; farmers; flocks; food security; households; low income households; markets; per-capita income; poultry; poultry production; poverty; prices; production technology; profitability; questionnaires; rearing; regression analysis; risk; socioeconomic factors; supply chain; transportation; women; Chile
- ... Backyard production systems (BPS) that involve poultry are a good way to improve food security and poverty alleviation. Few studies have been carried out to quantify the contribution of poultry production to these households and the constraints they might face if a priority animal disease enters these systems. This study aims to characterize the poultry-rearing BPS in central Chile and to identify ...
- Jimenez-Bluhm, Pedro, et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Preventive veterinary medicine 2018 v.153 pp. 1-6
- Cairina moschata; Influenza A virus; animal production; autumn; biosecurity; enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay; epidemiology; farms; hemagglutinins; influenza; monitoring; people; poultry; quantitative polymerase chain reaction; reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction; swine; wild birds; winter; zoonoses; Chile
- ... Backyard productive systems (BPS) are recognized as the most common form of animal production in the world. However, BPS frequently exhibit inherent biosecurity deficiencies, and could play a major role in the epidemiology of animal diseases and zoonoses. The aim of this study was to determine if influenza A viruses (IAV) were prevalent in backyard poultry and swine BPS in central Chile. Through a ...