Jump to Main Content
- Johnson, B. S., et al. Show all 2 Author
- Agronomy journal 1991 v.83 no.2 pp. 386-390
- Beta vulgaris; loam soils; clay soils; subsoiling; plowing; seedbed preparation; soil compaction; trafficability; crop yield; roots; sucrose; crop quality; porosity; chiseling; stress response; Michigan
- ... Normal tillage practices often create poor physical conditions for crop growth on lake plain soils in Michigan. Tillage studies were conducted in 1983 on Parkhill loam (fine-loamy, mixed, nonacidic, mesic Mollic Haplaquept) and from 1983 to 1985 on Charity clay (fine, illitic (calcareous), mesic Aerie Haplaquept) to evaluate the potential for increasing sugarbeet (Beta vulgaris L.) yield by reduci ...
- Johnson, B. S., et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Soil Science Society of America journal 1989 v.53 no.5 pp. 1545-1551
- A horizons; autumn; clay; internal drainage; lakes; planting; plowing; porosity; saturated hydraulic conductivity; soil compaction; soil density; spring; subsoil; subsoilers; subsoiling; tractors; traffic; Michigan
- ... Normal fall and spring tillage practices create poor physical conditions for crop growth on lake plain soils in Michigan. Charity clay [fine, illitic (calcareous), mesic Aeric Haplaquept] (Mahjoory and Whiteside, 1976) is an example of such a soil. It has poor internal drainage due to its naturally dense subsoil and is susceptible to physical degradation because of its unstable surface. Tillage st ...