Jump to Main Content
- Kallis, Mihalis, et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Bioresource technology 2013 v.132 pp. 45-48
- acetic acid; anaerobic digestion; biomass; continuous systems; effluents; ethanol; glucose; hydrolysis; valeric acid; volatile fatty acids
- ... The production of volatile fatty acids (VFAs) in a continuous process using a synthetic glucose medium as model substrate in the presence of γ-alumina as promoter is described. The results showed formation of acetic, propionic, isobutyric, butyric, isovaleric and valeric acids, with acetic acid being more than 90% of the total VFAs produced. It is also highlighted that γ-alumina enhanced the simul ...
- Kallis, Mihalis, et al. Show all 16 Authors
- Applied biochemistry and biotechnology 2010 v.160 no.6 pp. 1734-1743
- European Union; accelerated ripening; biomass; bioreactors; cheesemaking; cheeses; coliform bacteria; ethanol; fermentation; freeze drying; glycerol; kefir; lactic acid; lipolysis; manufacturing; production costs; starter cultures; value added; whey
- ... This paper concerns the effect of thermal-drying methodology on the investment cost for dried kefir cells production in order to be used as starter culture in cheese manufacturing. Kefir cells were produced at pilot plant scale using a 250-L bioreactor and whey as the main substrate. Kefir cells were subsequently dried in a thermal dryer at 38 °C and used as a starter culture in industrial-scale p ...