Jump to Main Content
- Karcher, D. M., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Poultry science 2012 v.91 no.6 pp. 1406-1409
- White Leghorn; animal feeding; animal performance; body weight; byproducts; cages; diet; egg production; egg weight; farms; feed intake; feeds; food industry; laying hens; oviposition; potato chips; snack foods; sodium; specific gravity; universities; waste disposal; wastes; Michigan
- ... The increased interest in becoming green for consumers and companies is driving groups to develop innovative ways to become more efficient and reduce their waste. Foods past their expiration dates are large sources of waste and are causing food-manufacturing companies to develop waste disposal strategies. Integrating by-products from these companies into animal diets, specifically that of laying h ...
- Karcher, D M, et al. Show all 11 Authors
- Poultry science 2011 v.90 no.1 pp. 278
- animal welfare; bone fractures; bone strength; cages; cannibalism; disease control; egg production; feather pecking; feet; group size; hens; nutrition; osteoporosis; parasite load; parasites; pest control; poultry housing; production technology; soil
- ... Egg production systems have become subject to heightened levels of scrutiny. Multiple factors such as disease, skeletal and foot health, pest and parasite load, behavior, stress, affective states, nutrition, and genetics influence the level of welfare hens experience. Although the need to evaluate the influence of these factors on welfare is recognized, research is still in the early stages. We co ...