Jump to Main Content
- Kennedy, Brook S., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- ACS applied materials & interfaces 2018 v.10 no.14 pp. 11979-11986
- droplets; freshwater; harvesters; harvesting
- ... Fog harvesting is a useful technique for obtaining fresh water in arid climates. The wire meshes currently utilized for fog harvesting suffer from dual constraints: coarse meshes cannot efficiently capture microscopic fog droplets, whereas fine meshes suffer from clogging issues. Here, we design and fabricate fog harvesters comprising an array of vertical wires, which we call “fog harps”. Under co ...
- Kennedy, Brook, et al. Show all 9 Authors
- Applied energy 2018 v.212 pp. 966-975
- airports; dynamic models; electric power; energy; friction; gears; humans; magnetism; railroads; sports; walking
- ... Harvesting energy from pedestrians can be used to power sensors in smart infrastructure, monitor structural health, and provide environmental sensing data. This paper presents a novel paver that efficiently harvests energy from human walking. Within the paver, a permanent magnetic motor is used as an electric generator. Racks, pinions, gears and a one-way-clutch are employed to convert the up-and- ...