Jump to Main Content
- Kickinger, Florian, et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Biosystems engineering 2018 v.173 pp. 79-84
- accelerometers; algorithms; animal behavior; calves; calving; dairy cows; dairy farming; data collection; dystocia; farmers; monitoring; prediction; tail
- ... Dystocia and stillborn calves are recurring problems for dairy farms, leading to high costs. By implementing a real-time monitoring system, problems could be reduced by supporting farmers to detect the onset of parturition and to intervene in case of dystocia. The hypothesis of this study was that the onset of parturition is detectable through analyses of the movement pattern of the dam's tail, re ...
- Kickinger, Florian, et al. Show all 14 Authors
- Journal of dairy science 2018 v.101 no.11 pp. 10421-10427
- Holstein; accelerometers; algorithms; dairy calves; ears; feed intake; locomotion; milk; milk consumption; milk replacer; monitoring; posture; rumination
- ... The objectives of this study were (1) to develop an algorithm for the acceleration sensor of the Smartbow Eartag (Smartbow GmbH, Weibern, Austria) to distinguish between postures (lying and standing or locomotion) and to detect 6 kinds of activities (milk intake, water intake, solid feed intake, ruminating, licking or sucking without milk intake, and other activities) in dairy calves and (2) to ev ...