Jump to Main Content
- Kjaer, J. B., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Poultry science 2011 v.90 no.11 pp. 2433-2439
- European Union; cages; foods; foraging; genotype; laying hens; lipid content; lipids; photophase; plastics; plumage; trays
- ... Within the European Union, the provision of dustbathing material in layer housing systems will be compulsory beginning in 2012. In cage systems, food particles are mainly used as litter material and are provided on scratching mats by an automatic transporting system. However, because dustbathing is a means for hens to remove stale lipids from their plumage, lipid content of a substrate may be an i ...
- Kjaer, J B, et al. Show all 11 Authors
- Poultry science 2011 v.90 no.1 pp. 278
- animal welfare; bone fractures; bone strength; cages; cannibalism; disease control; egg production; feather pecking; feet; group size; hens; nutrition; osteoporosis; parasite load; parasites; pest control; poultry housing; production technology; soil
- ... Egg production systems have become subject to heightened levels of scrutiny. Multiple factors such as disease, skeletal and foot health, pest and parasite load, behavior, stress, affective states, nutrition, and genetics influence the level of welfare hens experience. Although the need to evaluate the influence of these factors on welfare is recognized, research is still in the early stages. We co ...