Jump to Main Content
- Kole, Adriaan P. W., et al. Show all 9 Authors
- Aquaculture economics & management 2012 v.16 no.4 pp. 315-340
- Oncorhynchus mykiss; animal welfare; case studies; economic impact; farmers; fish culture; fish industry; models; probability; production technology; profitability; triploidy; willingness to pay; United Kingdom
- ... Actions that aim to improve animal welfare are likely to involve costs for the producer, although at the same time such actions may improve the profitability of production. In this article we introduce a quantitative bio-economical approach for estimating the economic consequences for improving animal welfare in the aquaculture industry; for farmers and the industry as a whole. The decision tool c ...
- Kole, Adriaan P. W., et al. Show all 13 Authors
- Aquaculture economics & management 2012 v.16 no.4 pp. 297-314
- European Union; animal welfare; aquaculture; case studies; data collection; farmed fish; farms; industry; marketing; models; value added
- ... This article summarizes the framework that translated data from multiple disciplines into a bio-economic decision tool for modeling the costs and benefits of improving fish welfare in commercial aquaculture. This decision tool formed the basis of a recent EU research project, BENEFISH which was funded via the European Commission's Sixth Framework (FP6) initiative. The bio-economic decision model c ...