Jump to Main Content
- Koshitaka, H., et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Journal of comparative physiology 2017 v.203 no.1 pp. 23-33
- Condylostylus; color; compound eyes; electron microscopy; electroretinography; models; photoreceptors; reflectance spectroscopy; refractive index; transmittance; vision
- ... The facet lenses of the compound eyes of long-legged flies (Dolichopodidae) feature a striking, interlaced coloration pattern, existing of alternating rows of green-yellow and orange-red reflecting facets, due to dielectric multilayers located distally in the facet lenses (Bernard and Miller. Invest Ophthalmol 7:416–434 (1968). We investigated this phenomenon in the dolichopodid Dolichopus nitidus ...
- PubMed Central:
- Koshitaka, H., et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Acta biologica Hungarica 2004 v.55 no.1-4 pp. 71-79
- Papilio xuthus; butterflies; foraging; learning; light intensity; nectar; proboscis; sucrose; wavelengths
- ... This paper describes the action spectrum of foraging behavior of a butterfly, Papilioxuthus. We first established an experimental protocol to evaluate learning and discrimination of monochromatic light by the butterflies. We trained butterflies to feed on sucrose solution at the window illuminated with certain monochromatic light produced through a monochromator. After confirming tha ...