Jump to Main Content
- Liao, J.H., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Forest ecology and management 2006 v.235 no.1-3 pp. 174-185
- forest litter; coral reefs; tropical forests; wet environmental conditions; broadleaved evergreen forests; plant communities; trees; botanical composition; soil nutrients; soil nutrient dynamics; biodegradation; soil properties; carbon; nitrogen; Diospyros; Ficus benjamina; Euphorbiaceae; Palaquium; Aglaia; Pouteria; Macaranga tanarius; Pisonia; Taiwan
- Liao, J.H., et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Journal of agricultural and food chemistry 2006 v.54 no.6 pp. 2418-2423
- astaxanthin; antioxidants; antioxidant activity; oxidative stress; protective effect; protein degradation; calcium; calpain; proteolysis; eye lens; crystallins; swine
- ... Astaxanthin (ASTX), a carotenoid with potent antioxidant properties, exists naturally in various plants, algae, and seafoods. In this study, we investigated the in vitro ability of ASTX to protect porcine lens crystallins from oxidative damage by iron-mediated hydroxyl radicals or by calcium ion-activated protease (calpain), in addition to the possible underlying biochemical mechanisms. ASTX (1 mM ...