Jump to Main Content
- Long, Christine M., et al. Show all 19 Authors
- Ecology letters 2019 v.22 no.2 pp. 302-312
- Alloteropsis; C4 photosynthesis; grasses; leaves; phenotype
- ... C₄ photosynthesis is a complex trait that boosts productivity in warm environments. Paradoxically, it evolved independently in numerous plant lineages, despite requiring specialised leaf anatomy. The anatomical modifications underlying C₄ evolution have previously been evaluated through interspecific comparisons, which capture numerous changes besides those needed for C₄ functionality. Here, we qu ...
- Long, Christine M., et al. Show all 10 Authors
- Plant, cell and environment 2016 v.39 no.9 pp. 1874-1885
- Alloteropsis; C4 photosynthesis; carbon; climate; genotype; grasses; hybrids; leaves; natural selection; phenotype; phylogeny
- ... C₄ photosynthesis is a complex trait resulting from a series of anatomical and biochemical modifications to the ancestral C₃ pathway. It is thought to evolve in a stepwise manner, creating intermediates with different combinations of C₄‐like components. Determining the adaptive value of these components is key to understanding how C₄ photosynthesis can gradually assemble through natural selection. ...