Jump to Main Content
- Mathias, Derrick K., et al. Show all 9 Authors
- Insects 2019 v.10 no.2
- Aedes aegypti; Dengue virus; RNA interference; West Nile virus; cell lines; defense mechanisms; dengue; double-stranded RNA; humans; imagos; proteins; public health; resistance genes; small interfering RNA
- ... Dengue virus (DENV) is transmitted by mosquitoes and is a major public health concern. The study of innate mosquito defense mechanisms against DENV have revealed crucial roles for the Toll, Imd, JAK-STAT, and RNAi pathways in mediating DENV in the mosquito. Often overlooked in such studies is the role of intrinsic cellular defense mechanisms that we hypothesize to work in concert with the classica ...
- PubMed Central:
- MATHIAS, DERRICK K., et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Systematic entomology 2018 v.43 no.1 pp. 123-135
- Onchocerca volvulus; Simulium damnosum; alleles; chromosome inversions; cryptic species; evolution; gene flow; genetic markers; genetic variation; geometry; habitats; inversion polymorphism; models; morphometry; taxonomy; Nigeria
- ... A complex cryptic species taxonomy has been developed for the flies that vector Onchocerca volvulus Leuckart in Africa. This taxonomy names cytoforms of Simulium damnosum Theobald s.l. based on chromosomal inversion polymorphisms. Researchers have linked variation in cytoforms to variation in geographical distributions and biological traits, but have failed to demonstrate that many of these cytofo ...
- Mathias, Derrick K., et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Infection, genetics, and evolution 2014 v.28 pp. 635-647
- Anopheles dirus; Anopheles gambiae; Plasmodium falciparum; Plasmodium vivax; antibodies; blood meal; control methods; glycoproteins; human diseases; lipids; malaria; midgut; oocysts; ookinetes; parasites; proteome; proteomics; surface proteins; transcriptomics; vaccines
- ... Novel strategies to directly thwart malaria transmission are needed to maintain the gains achieved by current control measures. Transmission-blocking interventions (TBIs), namely vaccines and drugs targeting parasite or mosquito molecules required for vector-stage parasite development, have been recognized as promising approaches for preventing malaria transmission. However, the number of TBI targ ...
- PubMed Central: