Jump to Main Content
Did you mean to type: laure?
- Mack, Laurie A., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- The Professional animal scientists 2017 v.33 no.2 pp. 261-275
- case studies; crates; farms; farrowing crates; locomotion; males; mortality; piglets; social behavior; sows; weaning
- ... Farrowing crate alternatives allow greater sow locomotion and behavioral expression but may affect piglet welfare. This study compared productivity and piglet behavior in 3 lactational housing systems: a pen (PN, n = 30); a closed crate (CC, n = 19); and a hinged crate (OC, n = 19). Until piglets reached 2 wk of age, CC and OC were identical with sows fixed in a crate within a pen (CRT). After 2 w ...
- Mack, Laurie A., et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Applied animal behaviour science 2013 v.148 no.1-2 pp. 99
- anxiety; autonomic nervous system; heart rate; oxytocin; piglets; pregnancy; progeny; social behavior; sows
- ... Developmental changes in response to prenatal stressors (PNS) can result in anxiety and abnormal social development in the offspring. Oxytocin (OT) reduces anxiety, whereas OT deficiencies are associated with social behaviour deficits. Hence, we hypothesized that OT could reverse some of the PNS effects. Female offspring from three socially stressed (PNS 35–56 days of gestation) and three control ...