Jump to Main Content
- Maina, Claude V., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Molecular and biochemical parasitology 2010 v.171 no.2 pp. 55-63
- polymerase chain reaction; reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction; ecdysone; molting
- ... Filarial parasites are responsible for several serious human diseases with symptoms such as lymphoedema, elephantiasis, and blindness. An understanding of how these parasites pass through developmental checkpoints may suggest potential targets for intervention. A useful model system for the study of the human parasites is the closely related nematode, D. immitis, the causative agent of dog heartwo ...
- Maina, Claude V., et al. Show all 71 Authors
- Science 2007 v.317 no.5845 pp. 1756-1760
- Brugia malayi; Caenorhabditis elegans; Wolbachia; drugs; evolution; humans; models; niches; onchocerciasis; operon; parasites; people; proteome
- ... Parasitic nematodes that cause elephantiasis and river blindness threaten hundreds of millions of people in the developing world. We have sequenced the ~90 megabase (Mb) genome of the human filarial parasite Brugia malayi and predict ~11,500 protein coding genes in 71 Mb of robustly assembled sequence. Comparative analysis with the free-living, model nematode Caenorhabditis elegans revealed that, ...
- PubMed Central: