Jump to Main Content
- Marolda, Cristina
L., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Biochemistry 2014 v.53 no.31 pp. 5060-5069
- Staphylococcus aureus; binding capacity; citrates; culture media; histidine; iron; lysine; mutation; receptors; siderophores; starvation; tyrosine
- ... In response to iron starvation, Staphylococcus aureus secretes both staphyloferrin A and staphyloferrin B, which are high-affinity iron-chelating molecules. The structures of both HtsA and SirA, the ferric-staphyloferrin A [Fe(III)-SA] and ferric-staphyloferrin B [Fe(III)-SB] receptors, respectively, have recently been determined. The structure of HtsA identifies a novel form of ligand entrapment ...
- Marolda, Cristina L., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Infection and immunity 2011 v.79 no.6 pp. 2345-2355
- Staphylococcus aureus; bacteria; blood flow; blood serum; catechol; catecholamines; glycoproteins; hormones; humans; innate immunity; intravenous injection; iron; mice; mutants; pathogens; respiratory system; siderophores; transferrin; transporters; virulence
- ... Staphylococcus aureus is a frequent cause of bloodstream, respiratory tract, and skin and soft tissue infections. In the bloodstream, the iron-binding glycoprotein transferrin circulates to provide iron to cells throughout the body, but its iron-binding properties make it an important component of innate immunity. It is well established that siderophores, with their high affinity for iron, in many ...
- PubMed Central:
- Marolda, Cristina L., et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Glycobiology 2005 v.15 no.6 pp. 605-613
- Escherichia coli; biosynthesis; cattle; chemical bonding; detergents; enzyme activity; genes; glycolipids; glycosyltransferases; high performance liquid chromatography; hydrophobicity; lipopolysaccharides; manganese chloride; moieties; mutants; nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy; pH; phenotype; testes
- ... In this work, we demonstrate that the wbbD gene of the O7 lipopolysaccharide (LPS) biosynthesis cluster in Escherichia coli strain VW187 (O7:K1) encodes a galactosyltransferase involved in the synthesis of the O7-polysaccharide repeating unit. The galactosyltransferase catalyzed the transfer of Gal from UDP-Gal to the GlcNAc residue of a GlcNAc-pyrophosphate-lipid acceptor. A mutant strain with a ...