Jump to Main Content
Did you mean to type: louis?
- Martin, Louise F., et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Journal of animal physiology and animal nutrition 2019 v.103 no.4 pp. 1015-1022
- Camelus dromedarius; abomasum; cecum; clearcutting; digesta; enzymes; feces; llamas; omasum; particle size; reticulum; rumen; rumination; secretion
- ... Changes in digesta dry matter (DM) and mean digesta particle size (MPS) along the gastrointestinal tract are well known in ruminants, but not in camelids. We collected digesta from the dorsal (d) and ventral (v) first forestomach compartment (C1), the second forestomach compartment (C2), three proximal segments and the subsequent glandular part of the third compartment (C3A‐D), the caecum and the ...
- Martin, Louise F., et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Small ruminant research 2019 v.175 pp. 160-164
- abrasives; diet; dust; food choices; goats; herbivores; ingestion; longevity; phytoliths; sheep; silica; teeth; tooth wear
- ... Tooth wear can be a considerable factor in shortening the lifespan of herbivores. It is mainly caused by the ingestion of silica particles, either phytoliths - internal to the ingested plants - or external abrasives, such as dust or grit. The avoidance of these abrasives can therefore be favourable to maintain healthy teeth, though it is not known to what extent herbivores are able to select diets ...
- Martin, Louise F., et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Mammalian biology 2019 v.97 pp. 104-111
- abomasum; abrasives; animal feeding; diet; digesta; digestion; dust; feces; herbivores; mastication; mixing; paleontology; phytoliths; rumen; ruminants; rumination; sand; tooth wear
- ... Based on comparative mandibular anatomy, observations of chewing behaviour, chewing forces and dental microwear, it has been suggested that an additional effect of the ruminant digestive strategy could be a reduction of both the required chewing load and tooth wear ruminants are exposed to. This effect is hypothesized to be the result of digestion, mixing, and digesta sorting prior to regurgitatio ...