Jump to Main Content
- McLellan, E., et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Journal of environmental quality 2015 v.44 no.3 pp. 768-779
- buffers; classification; digital elevation models; ecosystem services; groundwater; landforms; lidar; planning; pollution load; riparian areas; riparian buffers; runoff; sediments; streambank stability; streams; vegetation; water table; watersheds; Illinois; Iowa
- ... A watershed’s riparian corridor presents opportunities to stabilize streambanks, intercept runoff, and influence shallow groundwater with riparian buffers. This paper presents a system to classify these riparian opportunities and apply them toward riparian management planning in hydrologic unit code 12 watersheds. In two headwater watersheds from each of three landform regions found in Iowa and Il ...
- McLellan, E., et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Journal of environmental quality 2015 v.44 no.3 pp. 754-767
- buffers; computer software; conservation practices; cover crops; cropland; databases; drainage water; environmental quality; geographic information systems; hypoxia; land use; landscapes; nitrate nitrogen; planning; pollution load; prioritization; simulation models; soil properties; spatial data; streams; subsurface drainage; topography; vegetated waterways; watersheds; wetlands; Gulf of Mexico; Illinois; Iowa
- ... Spatial data on soils, land use, and topography, combined with knowledge of conservation effectiveness, can be used to identify alternatives to reduce nutrient discharge from small (hydrologic unit code [HUC]12) watersheds. Databases comprising soil attributes, agricultural land use, and light detection and ranging–derived elevation models were developed for two glaciated midwestern HUC12 watershe ...
- Agricultural Conservation Planning Framework (ACPF) Database
Agricultural Conservation Planning Framework (ACPF) Toolbox
- McLellan, E., et al. Show all 10 Authors
- The Science of the total environment 2013 v.442 pp. 263-274
- biogeochemistry; chemical treatment; conservation practices; drainage; landscape management; landscapes; phosphorus; risk reduction; runoff; sediments; soil; soil treatment; streams; water quality; wetlands; United States
- ... This review provides a critical overview of conservation practices that are aimed at improving water quality by retaining phosphorus (P) downstream of runoff genesis. The review is structured around specific downstream practices that are prevalent in various parts of the United States. Specific practices that we discuss include the use of controlled drainage, chemical treatment of waters and soils ...