Jump to Main Content
- Moorman, Brian J., et al. Show all 9 Authors
- Hydrological processes 2018 v.32 no.7 pp. 850-865
- air temperature; altitude; aquifers; crystallography; ecosystems; energy flow; fluid mechanics; glaciers; hydraulic conductivity; ice; melting; microorganisms; models; mountains; nutrients; piezometers; runoff; sediments; snowmelt; water table; weathering
- ... The hydrology of near‐surface glacier ice remains a neglected aspect of glacier hydrology despite its role in modulating meltwater delivery to downstream environments. To elucidate the hydrological characteristics of this near‐surface glacial weathering crust, we describe the design and operation of a capacitance‐based piezometer that enables rapid, economical deployment across multiple sites and ...
- Moorman, Brian J., et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Geomorphology 2013 v.194 pp. 16-24
- bioturbation; data collection; field experimentation; global positioning systems; image analysis; landforms; lidar; models; orthophotography; photogrammetry; prairies; remote sensing; surveys; unmanned aerial vehicles
- ... Small unmanned aircraft systems (sUAS) are a relatively new type of aerial platform for acquiring high-resolution remote sensing measurements of Earth surface processes and landforms. However, despite growing application there has been little quantitative assessment of sUAS performance. Here we present results from a field experiment designed to evaluate the accuracy of a photogrammetrically-deriv ...
- Moorman, Brian J., et al. Show all 16 Authors
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2014 v.111 no.47 pp. 16842-16847
- DNA; DNA viruses; RNA; Rangifer tarandus; feces; freezing; genome; ice; viruses
- ... Viruses preserved in ancient materials provide snapshots of past viral diversity and a means to trace viral evolution through time. Here, we use a metagenomics approach to identify filterable and nuclease-resistant nucleic acids preserved in 700-y-old caribou feces frozen in a permanent ice patch. We were able to recover and characterize two viruses in replicated experiments performed in two diffe ...
- PubMed Central: