Jump to Main Content
- Morgenstern, Sherry, et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Archives of biochemistry and biophysics 2019 v.662 pp. 143-150
- 3-hydroxybutyric acid; adults; anaerobic conditions; beta oxidation; calcium; carbon dioxide; dose response; energy; glucose; heart; hypoxia; ketone bodies; ketosis; myocytes; oxygen; rats; substrate specificity
- ... β-hydroxybutyrate is the primary ketone body produced by the body during ketosis and is used to meet its metabolic demands. The healthy adult heart derives most of its energy from fatty acid oxidation. However, in certain diseases, the heart alters its substrate preference and increases its ketone body metabolism. Little is known about the effects of βOHB on ventricular myocyte excitation-contract ...
- Morgenstern, Sherry, et al. Show all 9 Authors
- Archives of biochemistry and biophysics 2017 v.615 pp. 53-60
- calcium; carbon dioxide; cardiomyopathy; cultured cells; homeostasis; humans; males; mutants; myosin; phenotype; point mutation; rats; sarcomeres
- ... Mutations in the human cardiac motor protein beta-myosin heavy chain (βMHC) have been long recognized as a cause of familial hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Recently, mutations (P830L and A1004S) in the less abundant but faster isoform alpha-myosin heavy chain (αMHC) have been linked to dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM). In this study, we sought to determine the cellular contractile phenotype associated w ...