Jump to Main Content
- Mughal, Tahira, et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Journal of environmental management 2019 v.241 pp. 243-250
- air; algae culture; aluminum; biofuels; biomass; bioremediation; carbon dioxide; coal; copper; energy; feedstocks; flue gas; greenhouse gas emissions; heavy metals; iron; manganese; microalgae; photobioreactors; pollution; power plants; toxicity; zinc
- ... Sustainability assessments have revealed that integration of CO2 from coal-fired flue gas with microalgae cultivation systems could reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The technical goal of this integration is to utilize exhaust from coal power plants to enhance microalgae cultivation processes by capturing and recycling of carbon dioxide from a more toxic to a less toxic form. However, heavy metals ...
- Mughal, Tahira Aziz, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Bioresource technology 2017 v.233 pp. 271-283
- biodiversity; bioreactors; carbon dioxide; carbon markets; carbon sequestration; coal; combustion; emissions; flue gas; microalgae; nitrogen oxides; phosphates; power generation; power plants
- ... Microalgae have been considered for biological carbon capture and sequestration to offset carbon emissions from fossil fuel combustion. This study shows that mixed biodiverse microalgal communities can be selected for and adapted to tolerate growth in 100% flue gas from an unfiltered coal-fired power plant that contained 11% CO2. The high SOx and NOx emissions required slow adaptation of microalga ...