Jump to Main Content
- Newman, G., et al. Show all 11 Authors
- Biological conservation 2017 v.208 pp. 55-64
- aesthetics; case studies; decision making; humans; natural resources conservation; principal component analysis; sustainable communities; New England region
- ... Many citizen science projects are place-based - built on in-person participation and motivated by local conservation. When done thoughtfully, this approach to citizen science can transform humans and their environment. Despite such possibilities, many projects struggle to meet decision-maker needs, generate useful data to inform decisions, and improve social-ecological resilience. Here, we define ...
- Newman, G., et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Annals of applied biology 2006 v.149 no.1 pp. 15-25
- air flow; dry season; field experimentation; fineness; flax; flowering; herbicides; industrial applications; nitrogen; retting; stems; tensile strength; yarns
- ... Field trials of fibre flax were sown in 2002 and 2003 comprising 29 and 26 flax varieties, respectively. In 2002, two nitrogen treatments of 40 and 80 kg ha⁻¹ were imposed. The trials were sprayed with a desiccating herbicide prior to retting at 35 and 15 days after midpoint of flowering in 2002 and 2003, respectively, and were harvested once retting had completed. Fibre was extracted from the fla ...
- Majsak-Newman, G., et al. Show all 10 Authors
- American journal of clinical nutrition 2005 v.81 no.4 pp. 814-821
- adults; men; heterozygosity; mutants; fortified foods; food fortification; heme iron; dietary minerals; mineral metabolism; iron absorption; nutrient availability; homozygosity
- ... Background: The suggestion that carriers of the HFE C282Y mutation absorb nonheme iron more efficiently than do carriers of the wild type has public health implications for countries where the C282Y mutation is common and foods are fortified with iron. Objective: We investigated the effect of C282Y heterozygosity on nonheme-iron absorption from a diet high in bioavailable iron and from iron-fortif ...