Jump to Main Content
- Niemietz, C.M., et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Plant, cell and environment 2002 v.25 no.2 pp. 173-194
- carbon dioxide; ammonia; plasmodesmata; cell growth; symbiosis; ion transport; nutrient uptake; boric acid; water transportation; plant-water relations; cell division; stigma; pH; water stress; pollen germination; phosphorylation; endoplasmic reticulum; plant proteins
- ... There is strong evidence that aquaporins are central components in plant water relations. Plant species possess more aquaporin genes than species from other kingdoms. According to sequence similarities, four major groups have been identified, which can be further divided into subgroups that may correspond to localization and transport selectivity. They may be involved in compatible solute distribu ...
- Niemietz, C.M., et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Journal of experimental botany 2006 v.57 no.3 pp. 609-621
- Beta vulgaris; beets; roots; plasma membrane; aquaporins; cytoplasm; pH; biochemical pathways; calcium; membrane permeability; tonoplast; cations; halophytes
- ... Plasma membrane vesicles isolated by two-phase partitioning from the storage root of Beta vulgaris show atypically high water permeability that is equivalent only to those reported for active aquaporins in tonoplast or animal red cells (P(f)=542 micrometer s(-1)). The values were determined from the shrinking kinetics measured by stopped-flow light scattering. This high P(f) was only partially inh ...
- Niemietz, C.M., et al. Show all 2 Author
- Plant physiology 1997 v.115 no.2 pp. 561-567
- Triticum aestivum; roots; cell membranes; water uptake; measurement; osmotic pressure; membrane permeability; diffusion; mercury compounds; energy balance
- ... The functional significance of water channels in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) root membranes was assessed using light scattering to measure vesicle shrinking in response to osmotic gradients rapidly imposed in a stopped flow apparatus. Vesicles were obtained from both a plasma membrane fraction and a plasma membrane-depleted endomembrane fraction including tonoplast vesicles. Osmotic water permeab ...