Jump to Main Content
- O’ Donoghue, Lisa M.T., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Journal of cleaner production 2019 v.208 pp. 393-401
- alkalinity; aluminum oxide; bauxite; byproducts; economic costs; electrical conductivity; gallium; industry; leaching; pH; particle size; raw materials; risk; salinity; scandium; uncertainty; vanadium; Europe
- ... Bauxite residue, the by-product produced in the alumina industry, is being produced at an estimated global rate of approximately 150 million tonnes per annum. Currently, the reuse of bauxite residue is low (∼2%), due to limitations associated with its alkalinity, salinity, low solid content, fine particle size and potential leaching of metal(loid)s. It has been identified as a potential secondary ...
- O' Donoghue, Lisa M.T., et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Journal of cleaner production 2018 v.179 pp. 217-224
- adsorbents; adsorption; alkalinity; aluminum oxide; aqueous solutions; bauxite; byproducts; calcium; calcium oxide; carbon dioxide; carbonation; gypsum; industry; neutralization; pH; phosphorus; seawater; sorption isotherms
- ... Bauxite residue (red mud), the by-product produced in the alumina industry, is being produced at an estimated global rate of approximately 150 Mt per annum. Due to its highly alkaline nature, many refineries use neutralisation techniques such as mud farming (atmospheric carbonation), direct carbonation using carbon dioxide or reactions with seawater, to treat the bauxite residue and reduce its alk ...